Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Curious Incident Of the Dog In the Night-Time by Mark Haddon - A Book Recommendation



How many time do you get a feeling while reading a book that “God, this book should never end, it should go on forever.” That’s exactly how I felt when I was on chapter 107 of this book. If you have not read this book and wondering “Chapter no 107 ???, looks like a thick book… humm” then think again. This book has exactly 272 pages. Now, to make you more bewildered, let me tell you the chapter one before the chapter no 107, is 103. Mazed !!!!

C’mon you got to read the book to demystify this.

When I first laid my hand on this book, I was in a deep exhort to read something different. Enough Marquez, Milan Kundera, Joseph Heller or Vikram Seth for me, I was looking for something which I had no idea. This book came as a recommendation from my literary giant friend, who has elegant choice and test of literature?

THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME by Mark Haddon, a picture of a dog with three red spots on the cover, it was enough to make me move one step farther and reach 'Language and Dictionary' section of that book store. But then I was reminded that prejudice about a book by just looking at its cover and knowing about not so famous author is like saying “Oh he is just a man, he can’t cross a mountain.”

And that’s how I picked up the book and started reading first few pages. As usual, I ignored the recommendation and forward pages by “The Times”, “Daily Telegraph”, “The Bookseller” and other big guns, they really misguide you. I know you might think, that’s very cynic of me, but that’s how choices varies.

One Dog behind 5 red cars… I tried reading few lines randomly from the book …

First few opening lines of the novel….
"I know all of the countries of the world and their capital cities, and every prime number up to 7,057."

Few lines from some random page…
“I do not tell lies. Mother used to say that this was because I was a good person. But it is not because I am a good person. It is because I can't tell lies.”

It was enough to billow my curiosity to pick up that book and sail through the voyage of reading, which is till this date one of the finest and well sent time of my life.

This book is about 15 year old Christopher who is an autistic savant and while he's a whiz at math and science, human emotions are particularly complex for him. He finds behaviors and demands of adults very mysterious and confusing (as most of the kids do).

All readers out there… I am not going to tell you the story (I would love to but I am no Marquez :))…Go grab or borrow a copy of “THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME by Mark Haddon.” Take my words, you will cherish about it.

Happy Reading…

No comments: