Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Three Lives ... Part-II

And that’s where the struggle of that young lad started. His mother started working in a private nursing home as maid, and Ravi started assisting is neighbor Tulsi in his cooking assignments to get some extra money and help her mother.
So here he was, a 15 something lad, running, sweating and earning few hundreds on contrary to any Mumbai’s 15 something school going lad, who go bowling, eat in Mac D, watch movie in PVR with salted popcorn and spend many hundreds every month.

When I enquired Ravi, about his literary status he replied that he will be writing 8th grade exam this summer. He also mentioned that he studies every night after going back from work. I couldn’t dare to ask further to but to extol his courage and pat his back.

---------
Tulsi
---------

That day during lunch everybody complained about the less salty and spicier curry in the lunch. I was commanded to talk to Tulsi and summon him on this. When I went upstairs kitchen, seeing me coming, a thin figure unfolded thrice, turning towards me it asked, “Namaste Bhaiya, kuchh kam pad gaya kya neeche.” He was a slender, red yellowish eyed, weak adult or it looked like that either was born and evolved week or he was drinking maniac.
“I have been provided grinded, readymade garam masala that’s that’s why every curry has same taste and ending badly” responded he apologetically after listening my concern.
Once I assured him that I’ll provide him sabut Garam Masala without dal chini, he looked happy and assured me for a tasty dinner that night.

I was not stunned that night when I came to know that Tulsi was a regular drinker and daily visitor to doctor due to his nasty drinking habit. What socked me about him was, he has 5 Laxmis at home and till this lagan he was able to find the dulha for only two of them. I remembered the words of some anonymous indolent that the best way to get away with any problem is "drink hard and sleep lengthy".

No comments: