Monday, May 5, 2008

Three Lives ... Part IV

Some say “Time runs” but I believe “Time jumps”. The day was coming closer as the earth was gyrating on its axis.
The whispering was spread all around in house that morning, and kept on increasing as inflation in India. I couldn’t keep my self in bed and woke up at ungodly hour of 7 am. I had to ask the girl, who comes for sweeping and was present at that time, about the raison d'être of that Careless Whisper.

It was Tulsi, it seems he was drinking to death these days. But his wife and daughters were gritty enough to fight with Yamraj, (with the help of Doctor, of course) every time.
He was hospitalized last night when he came highly drunk and started vomiting blood after dinner. He was rushed to a nearby private nursing home and made to drink glucose (with needles in his vein) for a change.

It was not Tulsi’s health which was reason of panic that morning (do we really care so much about a cook??? That would be so human!!) but what troubled everyone was “Who has the courage to cook Kachauri and lunch for 35 people.” The zenith of inhumanity was reached when unhappiness was expressed for the absence of Tulsi and I was asked to troubleshoot this problem. I didn’t have any way but to approach my sister who knew few servants in her locality (she had provided us Tulsi, by the way).

Looking at the sensibility of the matter my sister called up few servants. Some how, Tulsi’s wife came to know about this hunt and she rushed towards my sister’s apartment. Her face was pale and it was written all over on her face that she had not taken even a nap last night. Her wretched voice came out with a whisper “Didi,Humare rahte aap kisi aur ko kyu khooj rahi hai?” I looked towards my sister with a “That would be inhuman!!” expression. Reading my face, my sister assured her that she need not to worry about money and work, and should take care of her ailing husband.

But Tulsi’s wife was not ready to go back, she mentioned that her husband is much better now and more over it’s not first time that he was rushed to the hospital in the mid of night. She added that her daughters were at the nursing home to take care of him.

I didn’t see any other way but to take her on my bike to home, already my cell phone has sung “Aane vala pal jaane vala hai” 5 times in last half an hour. A gentle breeze of relief was visible on everybody face once they saw Tulsi’s wife with me. My mother asked her about Tulsi’s health and mentioned that her presence at hospital was more important than here. But after hearing the improving condition of her husband she allowed her to start work.

Things came to normality once everybody had their breakfast, it seems that Tulsi’s wife had a better hand at spice than her husband. Ravi was as usual busy serving everybody even though a sign of grief was visible on his face. May be Tulsi was not his relative but only a co-worker, but definitely he was the one who helped him at the time of need.

to be continued ...

No comments: